Chapter Four, Part Two—Lions and Vermin

     As strangely exciting as the previous night had been, the next day was one that Susan would have liked to have thoroughly forgotten. It started off well enough. Lance and Garret were their usual kind, funny, charming, handsome selves at breakfast and during the morning leg of the trip. Judge Hightower and Polly were obviously becoming thick as fleas on a mangy dog’s back, and they were so cute together. I…well, I was me. Didn’t talk much. Was nice enough when approached. Answered something when asked. Left everybody alone otherwise. What more could anybody want?
     But then came the first stop, about noon. Donavan’s Station, it was called. The sun was bright and it was warmer than it had been, but still far from shirt-sleeve weather.
     A nice stop to have some trouble…

     Susan approached Donavan, the owner.
     “I haven’t had a good bath in a few days. Is there any way I could get one here before we leave?”
     “Sure,” he said. He pointed. “Go out the building in that direction. You come to a little rise and then down in the swale is a hot springs pool. Perfect for bathing, even this time of year. Even got some soap and shampoo you can use. I’ll tell everybody you’re heading that way so they’ll know where you are, but won’t bother you.”
     “Oh, that’s wonderful! Thank you so much.”
     Susan took the soap and shampoo, got a towel, gathered up some fresh clothes, and headed for the pool. It wasn’t far. The little rise was barely 75 yards from the station and the pool was 100 feet below that. A little stream fed it, wandering in from a copse of trees to the right, disappearing out of sight among them, dropping water into the pool from over a large mound of yellow boulders. The stream then meandered out of the pool to the left and off into a valley below. It was lovely and idyllic.
     She undressed quickly and walked slowly into the water. It was indeed warm, and goose bumps covered her skin because the contrast from the cold air was rather extreme. The pool wasn’t deep, no more than four feet. So she sat down to where the water covered her shoulders and luxuriated in the warmth. It felt good. I think I could take a nap, and she giggled. She sat unmoving for a couple of minutes, enjoying the warmth, and then started bathing. She soaped and scrubbed her skin twice and then shampooed her hair the same number of times. The second time, she stuck her head under the flow of water from the rocks and let it wash the shampoo, and anything else in her hair, away into the pool.
     But then, with her head still under the stream, she thought she heard something. An indistinct sound, but out of place. She listened a moment…there it was again. Sort of a high pitched whine or something. She pulled her head up, shook it to get the excess water out, and then looked up.
     An ice ball formed in her stomach and a horrified expression came over her face.
     Sitting on the boulders, less than 15 feet away from her, was a mountain lion. Looking directly at her. It opened its mouth again, and the high-pitched whine Susan thought she had heard became a high-pitched, and very frightening, growl.
     For a moment, she was mesmerized. It was a beautiful, sleek creature, but it was also huge. Full grown, at least 200 pounds. Susan guessed that if it stood on its hind legs, it would be at least as tall as she was.
     She slowly, very slowly, began to back away, her eyes riveted on the lion. She saw its tail swish, spasmodically, back and forth. Its eyes were on her. Susan knew that she was at least 25 feet from the edge of the pool. Her only hope was that the lion wasn’t especially hungry.
     Unfortunately, he was.
     He growled and snarled at her again, and then shifted down onto his haunches, as if in readiness to pounce. It looked like his meal was trying to get away, and he wasn’t going to let that happen. Susan kept backing away, but was still too far from the edge of the pool. It was time to call for help.
     Which she started to do. But it came too late.
     With another snarl and growl, and then with a wiggle of its hindquarters, the cat prepared to leap. Then the beast cast itself into the air, paws outstretched and long claws extended. Those claws would rip Susan’s naked skin with long, deep, agonizing furrows.
     She screamed and started to turn and run as best she could in the water, knowing it was hopeless.

     But then she heard a loud, piercing BANG, and the lion screeched and fell backwards, into the water, but away from Susan. She ran as fast as she could in the pool, which became shallower as she got neared the edge. Another bang—she recognized it now as a rifle shot—and then a third one. When she reached the edge of the pool, Susan looked back. The lion was floating on its side in the water, dead.
     Susan couldn’t quit trembling. She’d never been so frightened or near death in her life. She looked up to where the rifle shots had come from. She saw Kendrick coming down the rise, rifle in hand, his eyes on the lion in the pool. Susan ran over to him, still shaking, and wrapped her arms around him.
     “Thank you,” she said. “Oh, thank you. Is he dead?”
     “Yeah,” he said. “He was huge,” he continued, still looking at the lion, but with one arm around her. All of a sudden, Susan was aware that she was unclothed. Kendrick seemed to realize that she realized it, and quickly took off his jacket and wrapped it around her. She was eternally grateful and pulled it closer around her.
     “Oh, that was horrible.” Susan took a deep breath, recovering quickly. The first thought that went through her mind was, he’s more interested in that stupid lion than he is me, and then, geez, I was stark naked…
     She looked up at him, and he shifted his gaze to her. He smiled softly. “Are you ok?”
     Well, what do you know? Maybe he does care…a very little…”Yes…yes, I am, thank you.”
     Where did he come from?

     I had overheard Susan ask Donavan about a place to bathe, and that aggravated me a little because I wanted to take a bath. But she beat me to it. I saw her leave alone; I thought for sure that Garret or Lance would go with her to protect her from any wild animals that might be around. This was lion country, and they didn’t find a whole lot to eat this time of year. They were more aggressive and humans were fair game, too.
     So I grabbed my rifle and followed her. I looked over the rise and saw Susan starting to undress, so I turned around, sat down, and…listened.
     And sure enough, in a few minutes, I heard a lion growl…and a woman scream…

     The shot was easy. Less than 40 yards, big target, clear field. I was a good enough shot that I could have hit him at twice the distance. Actually, I was a good enough shot that I could have hit him at four times the distance, but that wasn’t necessary. I fired three times and the cat lay still in the water. Well, I’m not going to bathe in a pool full of cat blood…
     I saw Susan running towards me, whimpering. I was less than 50 feet away. I winced at her current…textile accoutrements…and immediately started to take off my coat. She grabbed me first, but in a few seconds, I had her covered. I took a deep breath.
     Sheesh. Her hair’s wet…and the inside of my coat will be, too…Yeah.  Like that's what I was thinking...

     A voice called from the top of the rise. “What happened? What were those shots?” Susan looked up and saw several people, almost everybody who had been in the station. She was covered by then. Kendrick’s coat went about halfway down her thighs and she had it wrapped tightly around her. Still, she was wet, and it was cold, and she was still scared half out of her wits by what had just happened.
     Everybody was coming down the hill now. “Why did you fire?” Donavan asked Kendrick, not exactly in the friendliest tone of voice. “Didn’t I tell you that Miss Bedford was bathing and not to come over here?”
     Kendrick didn’t answer. He just pointed at the pool. They all looked and saw the dead lion. Polly gasped.
     “Holy Moses,” Donavan whispered, “I’ve never seen one that big.” Then he looked at Susan. “Are you all right?”
     She clung to Kendrick’s coat like it was a life preserver, but she was still shivering. She was still mostly wet, and especially her hair. “Yes, I’m fine, thank you. I’m ok. Mr. Kendrick shot the lion just as it leaped.”
     In unison, every head turned back to Kendrick. All he said was, “I think we should all go back up the hill and let Miss Bedford dry off and get into some warm clothing.”
     “Yes, yes, of course,” was the muttered reply. Susan glanced around, saw Garret and Lance looking at her, quizzically. She smiled softly at them, and nodded her head. Satisfied, and with a quick glance at Kendrick, the two men moved off with everyone else. Susan saw Kendrick start to follow the group.
     “Mr. Kendrick.” It was Susan
     He turned. She searched his eyes for a moment. What’s there?…
     “Would you…stay at the top of the hill…till I’m finished.” She smiled wanly. “In case that lion has a mate somewhere close by.”
     He nodded. “Shout if you need me, but I’ll be where you can see me.”
     As she walked down the hill to get her things, Susan thought, Why was he there? Another shiver. I’d be dead if he hadn’t been…

     I walked up to the top of the rise and kept my back to Susan, of course, to give her privacy. I had to work a little to get a certain…vision…out of my head, but I checked my rifle, replaced the bullets I had fired, and made sure it was in working condition. I knew it was, but it gave me something else to think about.
     A few minutes later, I heard her behind me. “How did you happen to be up here when that lion pounced?” she asked me.
     I turned and looked at her. “I was here the whole time.”
     Susan blinked at me. “So you were watching me.”
     “No, I didn’t say that. I was just below the rise, so I couldn’t see you.”
     “Then how did you know the lion was there?”
     “I heard him growl.”
    “I see.” Something still didn’t compute. “You were…protecting me?”
     I glanced all around. “These hills and mountains are full of lions. Food isn’t always easy for them to find this time of year. It never hurts to be careful.” Then I smiled at her. “And there are more dangerous beasts around here than mountain lions.”
     Susan smiled back. She asked, “Oh? And what might they be?” She already knew the answer.
     I gave her a rueful grin. “The two-legged variety.”
     Susan was playful now that she was safe. “Oh. Gorillas and apes? Or rattlesnakes and puppy dogs?”
     I grunted. “Yeah. But some of them are even worse than that.”
     Josh Taylor came loping over. “Are you all right to travel, Miss Bedford? We kin stay here fer the rest of the day, if ye’d prefer.”
     “No, Mr. Taylor, I think…I’d like to get away from this place as soon as possible.” And Josh and I chuckled softly.
     “’K,” he said. “Let’s load up then.”
     I turned to follow him. “Mr. Kendrick.” Susan again.
     I looked back at her.
     “Thank you again. You saved my life.”
     I looked her up and down, and just nodded. Then walked off. I still want a bath…and my coat’s wet…

     Susan was a bit annoyed at his abrupt departure. You have a nice smile, gunslinger, you should do it more often…gunslinger…well, I guess this proves it, he hit that lion three times when it was in mid air…he can shoot…She watched him walking away, thoughtful…he was protecting me…how… chivalrous…And Susan giggled at that last thought. Then a frown. Where were Garret and Lance?…

     The day wasn’t over yet, nor the excitement. Susan told everyone about her hair-raising experience and I ended up being the hero of the tale. “Yeah, yeah, yeah,” I said, waving it off and turning my attention back out the window. After that, everybody started dozing. Then, in mid-afternoon, when we were traveling through some pretty rugged, rocky terrain, the stagecoach began to slow.  I had been snoozing, too, but roused and checked the window. I spotted something I didn't like.   “Uh oh.” 
     Garret was sitting across from me and heard me. “What’s up?”
     “Trouble,” I responded. “Do you have your gun?”
     He frowned at me. “In my bag under my seat.”
     “Get it.” I looked over at Lance, who had been listening as well. “You, too.” And he nodded. Neither asked any more questions, they simply reached for their bags.
     But Polly asked. “What is it, Mr. Kendrick? Indians?”
     “No—“ is all I got out before there were several shots fired, and we heard some shouting. Lem’s shotgun boomed, but that only encouraged more return fire and after a few seconds, we heard Josh yell “Whooooooaa,” and the horses came to a stop.
     A couple more shots in the air. “All right.  Everybody out!  Right side. This is a hold-up! Don’t nobody try nothin’ fancy.”
     Polly was in near hysterics. “Oh, no, Herschel. A hold-up. They may kill us. Oh, what are we going to do?”
     “Now, Polly,” he replied. “Don’t be scared. I’m sure they just want our money and then they’ll leave us alone.” A script straight out of a dime novel. I glanced at Susan and she was looking at me, but I couldn’t read her eyes.
     We all piled out and stood beside the carriage. There were three horsemen. One of them was holding a rifle on Josh and Lem, who both had their hands in the air. The other two had handguns pointed at the rest of us.
     Josh looked down at us.  "Sorry, folks.  They came out them boulders there and we didn't see 'em till they was right on us."  I had seen them too late as well.
     The outlaws were a typical, grimy-looking sort. Dusty, sweat-stained clothes and hats. A couple of them were tall and lean, the other was built more like a bulldog. None of them had shaved in several days.
     The outlaw in front, apparently the leader of the gang, started talking before Susan had disembarked. “All right, folks, all we want is your loot, so hand it over.”
     And then Susan stepped down out of the carriage.
     “Oh, now, what do we have here?”
     “Lookee there, Will,” Bulldog said from behind him. “Ain’t she a sight fer sore eyes.”
     Will, the gang leader, was staring at Susan in obvious pleasure. Or rather lust. The word was written on his forehead in big, bold letters. The two fellows behind him were salivating now as well. It was almost a mistake. The man holding the rifle, just in time, saw Lem slowly reaching for his shotgun.
     “Don’t try it, old timer,” the outlaw said to Lem, “or it will be the last move you ever make.”
     Polly was whimpering, and Herschel was quietly trying to console her.
     I had managed to get behind everybody else.
     Herschel then spoke up to the outlaws. “You men take our money and go. Leave us in peace. You are scaring this poor lady to death, so do your business and get gone.” The judge was pretty feisty, but then, he’d been around outlaws for most of his life.
     Bulldog was still snickering, looking from Polly to Susan. “Hey, Will, why don’t we ask these two ladies to go with us fer awhile? I shore am tired o’ eatin’ yore cookin’.”
     He threw his head back and guffawed.
     Polly gasped. Susan looked disgusted. Will and the other fellow chuckled. “Why, brother, I think you hit on a right smart idée fer a change. How ‘bout it, ladies? Jus’ come with us fer a little while. Cook wash, clean, you know, do wimmin stuff. You kin keep us warm at night, too.” Then he cackled. It sounded like somebody wadding up a piece of paper. The third brother was grinning from ear to ear.
     Garret started to reach for his gun, but I surreptitiously grabbed his arm. He glanced back at me, and I shook my head. His face went hard.
     “So,” Will continued, real polite-like, “You folks empty yore pockets o’ all your money, while you two nice ladies git yore bags ‘n git ready to go wif us. And then we’ll let the rest of you be on yore way.” His face turned hard. “If you ladies don’t commence to gittin’ yore stuff right now, I’ll shoot this one.” And he pointed his gun directly at Polly. She almost fainted.
     Judge Hightower moved in front of her. “You will do no such thing, you side-winding scoundrel.”
     “Well, if’n I have to go through you, old man, to git t’ her, I’ll do that, too.”
     “I think not.”
     That last statement came from me and it quieted everybody. All eyes shifted around and I walked between Garret and Lance and stood about 15 feet in front of Will.
     “Oh?” Will sneered. “And who might you be? Bat Masterson or Wyatt Earp?” And he and the other two laughed.
     “No,” I said softly, my eyes looking straight into his. “I’m the man who’s going to kill you if you and your merry band of thugs don’t ride out of here now.”
     That stopped him for a moment, and his eyes quickly moved down and saw the gun at my hip. “Mister, you’re going to get ever’body kilt if you don’t drop that gun and shut up.” He now aimed the pistol at me.
     I shook my head. “That’s possible, I suppose. But I’ll tell you what, buddy, you won’t live to see anybody die. Because I promise you, when the shooting starts, my first bullet is going right between your eyes, and you won’t see who else is dead until you wake up in hell.”

     Susan’s stomach turned upside down when Will had said he wanted her and Polly to go with them. Oh, I’d rather die! She glanced quickly at Garret and Lance, but they seemed rooted to the ground. She couldn’t see Kendrick, who was behind her. When Will pointed the gun at Polly, but saw the judge step in front of her, Susan grimaced. Somebody is going to get killed. Judge Hightower won’t let them take Polly. Will Lance or Garret let them take me?…Surely not…Oh, no, there’s going to be people killed…Susan didn’t see how it could be avoided.
     Then she heard the voice from behind her, turned, and watched Kendrick approach the outlaws. Don’t get killed, Kendrick…please don’t get killed…Her eyes were riveted on him…She listened to the conversation. What’s he doing?….

     Well, one thing I was doing was unnerving Will—and more than a little. He cackled nervously. “You got a death wish, mister?”
     “No, not especially. Do you?”
     Then Garret and Lance stepped up and stood beside me. Lance spoke up. “And you other two fellows. Me and Garret will take care of you. That is, if either of you are still alive after Kendrick gets through shooting.”
     The three outlaws were now back on their heels. This wasn’t supposed to be the way it went. They were supposed to take what they wanted and then leave and count the booty later. And if they got a couple of women in the deal…
     But now they were facing three men who apparently weren’t afraid to die. Or at least were going to take the outlaws with them if they did. Death—for the robbers—wasn’t in the plan.
     “Ok,” Will said, trying to regain the upper hand. “We’ll leave the ladies be. You folks just fork over your dough and then we’ll ride off.”
     “No,” I said. “You ride off, right now, and be very thankful that you aren’t going to be worm food tonight.”
     Will tried one more time. “Lots of innocent folks’ll get kilt once the shootin’ starts.”
     “And three guilty ones.”
     The fellow holding the gun on Lem and Josh lost his nerve. “Will, maybe we best call this one a draw and head out. These folks don’t look like they got too much money anyways, and we don’t want a murder rap hangin’ over our head.”
     That last statement clinched it for Will and he saw a way to save face. At least to himself. He looked at me and sneered. “We ain’t skeered o’ you none, mister, but Davey boy is right. If you’re so stupid as to start some gunplay, some of you folks’d get kilt when the lead starts flying. We don’t want to hurt nobody, don’t want no murder charge agin us.” He holstered his gun, and even smiled and tipped his hat to Susan and Polly. “You folks have a pleasant ride to wherever it be that yore headed.” He turned his horse and rode off, and the other two followed him.
     I stood there and watched them go. Everybody looked at me. Garret spoke up. “That was a dangerous play, gunslinger. Dangerous. But I’m glad it worked.”
     I shook my head. “Wasn’t dangerous at all. They didn’t want to die.” I gave him a wry grin. “Besides all the money I’ve got in the world is in my back pocket. I couldn’t very well let them have it.” I said to him and Lance. “I appreciate you men standing with me, but I would have gotten all three of them.”
     Garret emitted a wry chuckle. “Confident so and so, ain’tche.”
     I looked back in the direction of the outlaws to make sure they were not coming back. “Something like that.”
     Josh had jumped down. “You folks all right? Miss Plummer? Miss Bedford?”
     They both nodded, and Josh scrutinized me closely. “Who are you, mister? There ain’t five men in this country that could have done what you did and got away with it. And the other four are prolly dead.”
     I just shook my head. “Maybe I’m just a better bluffer than this gambler here”—referring to Garret.
     Josh looked me up and down again. “Well, whoever you are, thanks. Let’s go, folks, time’s a-wastin’.”
     We all got back into the coach and it took off. Nobody said anything for a moment, but then the judge, with his eyes sternly fixed on me, said, “I’d like to know the answer to the driver’s question, too, mister. Who are you?”
     I glanced at him and said nothing for a moment. Then I turned my attention to the scenery outside again. “Judge, I’m just a fella who wants to be left alone and not asked any questions. Is that too much for a man to want?”
     “Are you hiding something? If you are running from the law, I promise, after what you just did, I’ll get you cleared of all charges.”
     All I said was, “Thanks, Judge. I’ll keep that in mind.”
     Susan was watching me. “Mr. Kendrick.”
     I looked at her.
     “That’s twice today. Thank you again.” Three times including last night, though he doesn’t know about the hay loft…
     I met her eyes for a few seconds. Then I just nodded and went back to my window.

     Susan looked at Kendrick for a few more moments, reliving the events that had just happened. He was so calm…he must have ice water in his veins. No wonder he’s so cold…Then she turned her attention to Garret and Lance. She put a hand on an arm of each of them, and said, “Thank you both, too. I was proud of you and I’m sure Mr. Kendrick was happy to have your help.” She glanced quickly at Kendrick to see if he noticed her hands on Garret and Lance’s arms. He wasn’t paying attention. Susan fumed a bit.
     Garret was modest. “Well, he certainly did most of the work.” But then he took her hand in his and held it. She reached up and kissed his cheek. Another glimpse at Kendrick. He was watching now. Susan smiled—inwardly.
     On the other side of her, Lance said, “Yeah, I don’t really think Kendrick needed our help.” And he took her other hand. And she leaned over and kissed his cheek, too. Yes! Kendrick saw that, too! Lance wasn’t quite finished. He turned his head, put a hand under Susan’s chin, lifted her head a bit, and gave her four or five solid kisses on the lips. She said, “Stop it, Lance!” and then giggled. She heard Polly giggle, too, glanced at the judge, who was smiling. Susan giggled again. For all the tension she had endured that day, she was having the time of her life.
     She looked back at Kendrick, giving him a pixy, self-satisfied smile. He glanced at her briefly, then down at her hands, seeing that she was holding hands with both Lance and Garret. With a disgusted expression on his face, he leaned back, pulled his hat over his eyes, obviously intending to take a nap.
     Susan smiled. He saw me holding hands with Garret and Lance and kiss them both…he saw Lance kissing me—good doggy, Lance!…he saw me kissing Garret the other night…surely he knows I was in the barn with Lance last night…I’ll bet he’s wondering what went on between us…He’s jealous…I know he is…Yeah, he saved me, but I don’t like him…he’s so…arrogant…he probably thinks I’m in love with him…well, he’s got another think coming…She was smug, very smug.
     And held hands with Garret and Lance until the evening rest stop…making sure Kendrick saw it.

     Right and wrong, lady. Yes, I see you holding hands with both men. Yes, I saw those pecks on the cheek, and Lance kissing you. No, I didn’t see you kissing Garret; I’ve already told you that. No, I didn’t know you went to the barn last night with Lance. No, I don’t think you are in love with me. And if you think I’m jealous, then it’s you that’s got another think coming…
     Flirtatious little scamp. Somebody ought to paddle your backside. I smiled. Now that is a thought worth smiling about…

     Kendrick was leaning back with his hat over his eyes. But Susan could see his lips. She saw him smile. She frowned. What’s he smiling about?…I’ll bet he wants to paddle my backside…
     Upon that reflection, Susan closed her eyes, leaned her head back…and smiled…